Saturday, May 5, 2007

Springtime in the Rockies

Spring weather in the Rockies....you gotta love it!

TODAY's PLAN
After 7 weekend itineraries came together and then disintegrated......a colleague suggested that perhaps I'd be into "going big" on a possible ascent of McHenry's Notch which would give me an opportunity to peek at the Hourglass Couloir & Sister Sweetly. Then I'd also have some time to visit with my "Stoneman" on Stone Man Pass. (I often talk to the rocks because they talk to me.)

SHORT HIKE
Departing the Glacier Gorge trailhead at 7:00 am this morning, the air was calm and the snow was falling. I proceeded up the trail - moving through 2 inches of snow and then by the time I was up at Mills Lake there were 4 inches of fresh gnar just floating on the crust.

Past Mills Lake, thick clouds began to lower, cutting visibility to no more than 20 feet and the snowflakes were growing bigger and falling at an ever increasing rate. Feeling uneasy about doing "helen keller" moves on 4th class terrain and possible point releases while soloing - I turned around.

LONG NAP
Once back in Estes Park the sun came out! AND it looked downright evil up in the mountains. Not one to miss an opportunity, I decided to "go big" by taking a nap, reading and catching up with some emails.

How do you go big?

Here's some pics from the day.