Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Medicine Walk

“In Native American Tradition, medicine is anything that will aid the seeker in feeling more connected and in harmony with nature and all life-forms. Anything that is healing to the body, mind, and/or spirit is Medicine. To find a special Medicine that would give answers for a personal challenge or problem, our Ancestors would often walk in the forests or on the mesas to observe the portents or signs that would assist them in healing and seeking wisdom.” (Source: Sacred Path Cards, page 5, by Jamie Sams with Illustrations by Linda Childers)

My spiritual practice includes Medicine Walks (sometimes these are runs). On recent Medicine outings, I’ve attracted lots and lots of bird energy! Have you ever been swooped? Well, I have…….birds are swooping me big time! This is the first June in recent memory where I’ve been repeatedly grazed by birds flying in front, over, and across my body. It’s like these beautifully fragile creators are inviting me to dance and play with them. Or maybe I’m on a hidden camera TV show and these birds are nothing more than battery-powered robots…..Nah.

If you’ve never tried a Medicine Walk, I highly recommend its restorative power. Try one and let me know how it goes.